Tuesday, January 5, 2010

This Whole Blogging Thing

Disclaimer: I know I'm a little early with the Spring theme, but as soon as Christmas is over, I'm ready for Spring. It's my favorite season, so I want to be able to enjoy it for as long as possible. Since the weather is not cooperating, I figured I could at least have some sunshine on my blog. So there!

Now on to the real intent of this post:

I enjoy blogging. Not that I do it very often, but my life isn't very blog worthy sometimes. I really love reading my friends' blogs and keeping up with the friends I don't see in person often, or ever! Tonight, however, I have discovered the dark side of blogging/the Internet. I stumbled across the blog of someone I knew quite a long time ago. I enjoyed finding out what she and her family have been up to for the last couple of years since they now live several thousand miles away. At the same time, reading some of her posts and especially some of the comments was painful for me.

I can't possibly explain that in a way that makes sense, but that's okay. It doesn't completely make sense to me yet either. I'm processing and needed a forum in which to do so. I'm blogging about this with the hope that by doing so, I will be able to sort out what I am thinking and feeling. I think I'm also hoping for some validation from anyone who might read this and understand.

This girl wasn't a friend of mine, merely an acquaintance, but I did know some of her family members quite well. It was hard for me to see that their lives have not turned out how I thought they would. Don't get me wrong. They seem to be doing well, things just haven turned out exactly as I wanted for them. So now that I've read her blog, I am feeling sad, and now I wish I hadn't read it at all. Does that make sense?

Most of the time I view the Internet and technology as a blessing. But I realize now that sometimes having all that information at my fingertips is not in my best interest. I never thought about it before, but I think that sometimes maybe the Lord removes us from certain situations to protect our feelings. It's an interesting thought that I will have to explore more thoroughly when I'm not so tired. If I haven't lost you completely, let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Brian and Amelia said...

I'm a little lost, but I kind of understand. I've had instances where I wish that there wasn't quite so much available at my fingertips - about aquaintences as well. I think you are right, I think the Lord likes us to be closed off from different things - and I don't think it hurts us to be. I'm sorry you are sad and hurt, I wish I could help.

Heidi said...

I just had the same thought about facebook! I think sometimes it's good to be removed from information, but sometimes the Lord needs us to keep that door open.

The Stones said...

I actually agree with you! Sometimes there are things better left unknown. I love how you turned it into a spiritual aspect, very very insightful. :) XOXO