Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Never Ending War

When I was 22, I thought I had won a battle I had been fighting since I was about 9. But the war was still raging and I started fighting again. Then I turned 30. I thought I had won the war. Now I find myself right back in the middle of it. What is this war of which I speak? The war women fight with self worth and self confidence.

Is it a certain personality that struggles most with the whole concept of being happy with oneself? Or do all women struggle with this? Don't get me wrong. It's not like I cry myself to sleep every night. Most of the time I'm fairly confident in who I am. Of course there are things about myself that I'm not super fond of and would like to change. But overall, I think I'm a pretty decent human being and I know I have talents and strengths. So why is it that I continually catch myself worrying about what other people think about me? If I see someone looking at me funny I start feeling anxious about what they find wrong with me. If I'm around people who are whispering and giggling, I just know they are laughing at me.

I really want to get over this. Is it possible to change the way I perceive myself forever? I would really love to hear any input on this. Thanks!!!

P.S. Love yourself!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I think everybody deals with that at some level, but you have to remind yourself that other people's thoughts can only bother you if you let them.

Anonymous said...

Everyone battles this Misty, even though I'm still a new adult at this :) I think part of it is because women are group creatures, we are more comfortable in groups, that I find myself insecure when I'm alone or not looking my best. I think the best thing we can do is remember whos opinion of us that really matters: our family, our trusted friends, and most especially our Savior, and the mroe we focus on that, the less other people matter.